Specifically made for the rubber industry, you’ll find plasticisers and special boiling point spirits used in a range of everyday and industrial items. Seals, pipes, tubes, gloves, belts and shoes all contain rubber processed using our products. However, the biggest use of rubber is for vehicle tyres, which account for 70% of the world’s rubber, and TotalEnergies fully supports this industry with high performance products.
Rubber is used for such a versatile range of products, and when it comes to processing different forms of the substance an equally versatile set plasticisers and solvents are required. With Total’s Plaxolene and Plaxene products, you’ll find the fluids you need to manufacture for a whole range of rubber applications. Both have been developed specifically for the rubber industry, and benefits include:
- Versatility to adjust solvency and compatibility in your rubber mix.
- Increase or decrease the viscosity of rubber compounds.
- Process rubber more efficiently, reduce formulation costs
- Improve low temperature performance with low Tg products.
- Improve braking efficiency and fuel consumption (tyres).
- Enhance mechanical properties, used by the top 10 tyre manufacturers.
Meeting the needs of rubber manufacturers around the globe, TotalEnergies produces a range of market-leading plasticisers and special boiling point spirits. From making rubber easier and more cost effective to process, through to the manufacture of better quality products, we support our customers with a comprehensive range of reliable, high-performance products.
The hydrocarbon fluids we’ve developed for the rubber industry fall into two key brands:
Plaxolene – aromatic plasticisers used mainly in the manufacture of vehicle tyres, with excellent compatibility with aromatic rubbers such as SBR, BR, CR and Natural Rubber.
Plaxene – paraffinic plasticisers compatible with manufacturing using EPDM and Butyl Rubber (IIR). These rubbers are often used for industrial belts, silent blocks, gaskets, tubes and connectors.
PLAXOLENE 50 – This residual aromatic extract (RAE) offers the best compatibility with CR, SBR and BR rubbers, the most widely used rubber families in the tyre industry along with Natural Rubber.
PLAXOLENE MS 132 – This mild extract solvate (MES) has an ultra-low glass transition temperature (Tg), allowing you to produce rubber for extreme conditions such as winter tyres.
PLAXENE – Our range of paraffinic plasticisers is specially dedicated to ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) synthetic rubber manufacturing. It’s used to make objects for a wide range of industrial applications.
Our Plaxolene and Plaxene products comply with Annex XVII of REACH, from the European Chemicals Agency, which outlines restricted substances.
Plaxolene 50 is recognised by tyre manufacturers around the world. Find out more about the product in this datasheet.
You’ll find plasticisers by TotalEnergies used for seals, pipes, tubes, gloves, belts, shoes and, of course, vehicle tyres. Key benefits of our Plaxolene and Plaxene products include:
- Versatile range to adjust solvency and compatibility in your rubber mix.
- Reduce the viscosity of rubber compounds.
- Make rubber processing easier and/or more efficient.
- Enhanced mechanical properties.
- Lower formulation costs.
- Improved low temperature performance with low Tg products.
- Improved braking efficiency and fuel consumption.
- Dedicated products already used by the top ten tyre manufacturers.